Monday, October 31, 2016

Sanding, Cutting out Doors and Hatches, and Fillets Gone Wild

 The top panels have been sanded with 120 grit.  Time to do the sides.
 Here I have flipped the shell onto its starboard side so I can sand the port side without standing on my head to get at the lower panel.

 Was glad I had this little scaffold out in the shed.  It was purchased years ago for painting outbuildings, but I used it quite a bit on the PocketShip and now it's coming in useful here.
 Port side is sanded, now I'm getting ready to sand the starboard side. Next, the hatches and doors are cut out of the shell.
 Here you can see the galley hatch and ventilation hatch have been cut out.
And the doors.

 The book says to stop now and get inside the shell to enjoy it, which I did, but not after a thorough vacuuming first.  It's going to be pretty nice, and roomier than I had thought.
 But look what I found when I removed the galley hatch!  I knew the fillet material was too thin when I started it and would droop down, but not this much.  I thickened it and finished the fillet, but could not see this side (which was below at the time) until today.
So out came the grinder.  I ground off most of the excess fillet material, then finished up with the sander.  Needless to say I'll be painting the inside of the galley.  BTW, there will be a fillet added to the joint later, so those voids you can see will be filled in and covered by the new fillet.
Another lesson learned:  Do not use a saber saw to cut out parts of the galley hatch.  I had forgotten how close the bulkhead was to the edge to be cut.  This will be easy to fill, but once again I'm glad I decided to paint inside.  There are some places where I cut out doors and hatches that don't look so good--either I couldn't see the line well enough when I was plunging the cut in, or in one case the saw just slipped a little bit.  The slots that were pre-routed to mark where you cut were a bit wider than the saw kerf, so obviously there will be some sanding to do.  I hope that is enough to even things out.  If there is much filling to do, though, I'll probably have to paint instead of bright finish on the outside also.  Just have to wait and see.

2 comments:

  1. If not jigsaw, what would you recommend to cut the doors and hatch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 4 1/2" trim saw is set to depth just slightly more than width of plywood. That way it cannot hit the bulkhead. I was using the trim saw, but found a place where it didn't cut through, so was trying to open it up with saber saw. As I said I had forgotten the bulkhead was there.

      Delete