Thursday, October 27, 2016

Glassing the Port Side

I checked around 3:00 and the starboard side was no longer tacky, meaning I don't have to worry about fluff from cutting the fiberglass fabric sticking to it.  So I went ahead with the port side.  (I like using the nautical terms, "port" and "starboard" because it doesn't matter which way you are facing, they are always the same. If you are facing forward and then turn around, the left side becomes the right side.)
I learned quite a bit from doing the starboard side and applied what I learned to the port side.  For example, I put pushpins in all along the edge, about 2 inches from the joint, to guide my cut.  The edge of the cloth doesn't have to be exactly 2 inches from the joint for its entire length, but here at the very top it can't be more than 2" because at the bottom . . .
it barely reaches to the edge.  It can be a tiny bit short, because later on that bottom edge gets rounded off.
 As you can see here there is a LOT of cloth to be cut off at the front (you should be able to make out the push pins marking the 2-inch line) . . .
and quite a bit at the back.
Here are the scissors I use to cut fiberglass cloth.  I ground off the pointed ends so they are less likely to get snagged in the cloth as I go along.  It helps quite a bit.
 And here is the 'glassed port side shown from the front . . .
and back.  As soon as the port side achieves tack I can go ahead and start the second coat of epoxy on the whole thing.




No comments:

Post a Comment