Sunday, October 23, 2016

Preparing Shell for Fiberglass

Here the camper shell's mold/cradle has been removed.  To get it up off the floor CLC recommends building mini-sawhorses.  I happened to have some plastic bed risers that I no longer use.  They are the perfect height and saved me some work and time.
 The next step is filling in all the joint seams with thickened epoxy.  Much of the fillet epoxy came through from the inside but there are gaps.  The masking tape is to remind me not to bother filling from that point to the rear of the shell.  You may recall that section will be cut out to form the galley hatch.  Part of the cut is right on the joints that were never filleted or taped, so no need to fill.
I have filled every groove, hole and ding (I hope!) and the shell is ready for final sanding and fiberglassing.  My only small regret is that I didn't get off my lazy butt yesterday afternoon and finish the seam-filling with thickened epoxy.  Now I have to wait 24 hours before I can do the final sanding.  I could have done the final sanding before filling the seams, but after filling them you wipe them down with alcohol.  It turns out that the alcohol raises the grain, so those areas have to be sanded again.  A quick and easy job, but necessary.  Still, I plan to go over the entire shell again, just to make sure I didn't miss any spots.

No comments:

Post a Comment