Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Installing Part of the Galley Hatch Gutter



There will be a gutter that goes all the way around the galley hatch so that rainwater can drain out.  It starts as a flat piece and will have gaskets and so on added later to guide the water out.
Earlier I glued a gutter "riser" to the back of the galley.  The lower part of the gutter will be glued to that.  A slot for the riser was pre-cut, so about all I had to do was glue it in place.
The two pieces that will become the flat part of the gutter have had fiberglass cloth and epoxy applied because they will probably take a lot of abuse.
The top piece has been slotted into the bulkhead.  I am going to send this picture to CLC because the part does not fit very well.  There is a large gap between the gutter part and the galley wall.  I had hoped it would show up better, but the part does not even reach the end of the pre-cut slot.  I will have to put tape under the open area and fill it with thickened epoxy.
Actually you can see the gap at the end of the slot a little better here (with no flash), so I guess I'll send both to CLC.  The pieces have all been temporarily glued in place to hold them during filleting.
The second, lower piece has been added.  At the right is part of the lower piece that is sitting on top of the riser I added before.
I've started a fillet all around the gutter.  At the upper right corner you can just barely see where I filled in the gap, and to the right some of the blue masking tape I used to hold the fillet material in place.  The gap continues along most of both sides of the upper piece.
This shows more of the bottom piece.  Filleting that will turn out to be a huge mess.
A fillet has to go in under that lower piece--this was taken after I did what I could.  The piece was also a bit long, and though I thought I had shaved it down enough, it turned out it was still popping up a bit in places, hence the clamps.  I had the brilliant (so I thought) idea of putting plastic all over the galley floor and using it as a table for my tools and epoxy.  That worked well until I got to the bottom piece.  You have to practically stand on your head to see under there and the tool I had was too wide to work very well.  I was using the "pastry bag" method and it was nearly impossible to get the spout up where I needed it.  Then I was worried about getting my hair in the epoxy on the plastic--and my glasses kept falling off.  So I gave up after managing to get enough epoxy between the gutter piece and the riser to hold it in place.  When that cures enough I'll put in the fillet.  This time the plastic, etc. won't be in the way and I'll use a caulking tube to get the epoxy where I need it.  I'll have to find or fashion a smaller filleting tool.  There'll be more filleting to do anyway because I'll have to do the parts on the upper sides that are covered with masking tape for now. 






2 comments:

  1. Having Lived in Bryan Hall standing on your head should not be difficult. ho ho And with Dragel. Allen Rats for life

    room-us
    dlj

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dana....

    I saw your first post on Teardrops n Tiny Travel Trailers and I thought I must check this out.

    I am hoping to start a project next year as I have my hands full with projects currently.

    As far as building space goes, I don't have an enclosed garage, but I do have a covered screen in deck that is 20 x 20. I am thinking I can build a simple structure using tarps to store the project in when I am not actively working on it.

    Do you think the humidity will cause issues with the plywood? I know it will impact the cure time of the epoxy, but I would just have to be patient and let it cure.

    ReplyDelete