Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Preparation of the Rear Galley Hatch

As you can see on the picture in my frontispiece, the rear section of the shell opens up to provide access to the galley (kitchen).  Before the hatch section can be cut out, some parts must be added.
 You've already seen this picture of the hatch stiffener and bulkhead.  The hatch will be cut out just forward of the stiffener--you may remember the dashed line of slots that were cut by CLC.  By putting the shell together first and then cutting the hatch (and doors) out of it, there is a much better chance of a good fit.
 A lip is also added at the rear of the hatch, both to help stiffen it and to make it more weatherproof.
And here is a shot of the rear hatch, stiffeners, and bulkhead.  I did not get quite wide enough to show the entire hatch.  As I said it will be cut out later, just in front of the forward stiffener.  On the right and left sides, you can see that the fillets only extend as far as the stiffener.  The hatch is merely stitched to the shell from there back, so all I have to do is cut those wires.  They are there now to help the hatch keep its shape.

2 comments:

  1. Dana,

    My name is Andrew, and my wife and I are seriously considering the CLC camper as a project since we saw it three weeks ago. We would like to take advantage of the fall sale which ends the 31st. While conducting research, we found your blog posted on the CLC forum and are surprised to find that you live less than three hours away. We are in Lawton, as I am stationed at Fort Sill. Would it be possible to visit and see the project in action? We sincerely hope we can!

    My email is apkley@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew, when you first added this comment I also got it in email form, so like a dummy I replied to it, not realizing it was a "no reply." I got your email today and replied that you folks are welcome any time. Just let me know. Call first to be sure I'm home. If I don't answer for whatever reason, please leave a voicemail message. The number is 405-410-5535.

      Delete