Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Varnishing Continues

After six coats.  Looks really good but I can still find dull areas where the varnish is a little thin.  I'll do one more coat, but that's going to have to be enough.  May not quite look like a new car finish, but I think it will look great.  NOTE:  The color looks so different on shell from the below shots of the doors and hatch cover because of the different lighting (LED vs. sunlight).  I don't bother to color-correct all these photos.

In order to be able to keep working while all this varnishing of the shell is going on, I talked about varnishing the galley hatch cover and doors inside the house, but the odor would be much too strong.  I've decided to take care of this job on the back porch.  We've had a lot of rain and it is fairly humid right now and still getting pretty cool at night, so I decided to start with the insides of the items.  I discovered Minwax Helmsman (an excellent marine varnish) has an aerosol spray version, so I am using it for this job.  One advantage is that all three coats can be done within three hours.  Also, since we are having the rains, yes the humidity is a bit high, but there is no dust blowing around.

The doors and the galley hatch cover after one coat.  Not bad, but I wouldn't want to varnish the outside this way.  Hard to get the thickness even and besides it would be a really expensive way to go.
This is after three coats.  That's the trim ring for the ventilation hatch on the floor.  Some areas are a little glossier where I got the paint thicker (this may also be due to fairly high humidity--about 65%).  It all looks plenty good for the inside of the camper.  I plan to use this method for the galley module also, but I will do that in the garage under more controlled conditions.  I want it to look nice, but trying to get to all the little nooks and crannies with a roller and brush would be really difficult. 

Anyway, a major varnishing job is done!  Tomorrow I'll turn all these parts over and start on their outsides (unless it is still too humid).

2 comments:

  1. BADGER Hair Brushes .. those poor Badgers. all hairless.
    dlj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know my wife, Jan, would be pissed--she's from Wisconsin. Surely they shear 'em when the weather's warm, and they're all calm and peaceful just like sheep, right? :)

      Delete