Monday, April 3, 2017

Uuuuge Improvement!

Only one picture to show, but I wanted to spread the good word and reassure those who are getting ready to varnish.
It's much, much better.  Still not perfect, there are areas where the varnish is too thin and the dull, sanded coat under it shows through (could not get that to show up on camera).  That is not a problem though, because with Interlux Schooner varnish you do not have to sand between coats.  So, another coat or two should smooth everything out.  AND, the Interlux 216 Special Thinner really helped to smooth it out.  Just don't lay it on too thick so you don't get runs and sags.

So, lesson learned the hard way: Do it the way CLC tells you to do it.  You may have to practice on scrap wood to get the technique down, but it will be worth it.  As I said, the roll and tip method is the way CLC, Interlux, and Jamestown Distributors say to do it.  And now that I think about it, every picture I have seen of professionals painting boats or yachts, they are either using a roller or a brush.

BTW, I have some very nice badger hair brushes I could use for this, but a wide foam brush seems to work just as well.  My only problem now is I need to finish the shell while it is still cool enough to keep a wet edge going, then get it out of the way and varnish the hatch cover and doors while it is still cool.  If worse comes to worst I can always paint them inside the house.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dana. I’m really intrigued by this camper, and your blog about building it is great. Would you be up for doing a follow-up post on how long it took, tips/what you learned and anything you’d do differently?

    ReplyDelete