Sunday, April 30, 2017

Mushroom Vent Problem

Everything went very well on my initial trip.  One small problem was that I drove home through some heavy rain and, though the cabin was mostly very dry, about an ounce or two of water came in through the front vents.  I suspected the vent flanges, which have a cut-out section for some reason:
I looked again at the photo in the manual and it appears they left the flange off (and didn't bother to tell us).  *


I removed one of the flanges, but now find that I will need a shorter bolt to enable the cover to close. 
I wrote CLC to verify all this, and if I am correct will point it out in the bulletin board (and update this post).

* In the meantime, I decided to go back through the instructions and now I see the a phrase I missed on page 373, ". . . we elected to remove the middle vent screen . . . . "   They do not mention that you will need to replace the 5/16 x 1 1/2" hex bolts with 5/16 x 1" hex bolts.  Otherwise you will not be able to close the cover all the way with the middle screen no longer there.

AFTER MORE STUDY I have learned that what CLC calls a "middle vent screen" is actually a rain baffle and that it is possible the weather stripping they have you add blocks it from doing its job properly.  If my "solution" does not do the job I will put the rain baffles back in and remove the weather stripping.  It's also possible, though, that putting the flange on the inside of the cabin is causing problems.  Water infiltration is one of the hardest problems to solve on any project.  I'll just have to keep trying!

1 comment:

  1. DDC.. Just relax and enjoy the trip .. it will wear of maybe by tomorrow.
    dlj

    ReplyDelete