Monday, April 17, 2017

Just About Done

 Starting to install the liner panels.  These are made of a tough, 3/4" MiniCel foam.  The liners will help to insulate the camper and prevent condensation from forming on the walls and ceiling.
 A few more panels have been added.  You can probably see a couple triangular gaps.  I'll fill those in later with scraps of foam.  Fellow builders may notice the mounting for the side light is at the rear of the door instead of the front.  I did that because I'm going to install reading lights on the front wall.  You can barely see some wires for one of the lights poking through just above the ventilation grille.

 I used screw-in anchors to mount the lights, after cutting off the "drill" ends to make the anchors 3/4" long.  The only problem was they turned too freely so I added a little CA glue to the threads.
And here is one of the lights mounted.  Feels very solid.

The liner installed.  I wish I had understood a few things about it better before I started.  It's functional, but has several goofs.  Won't be showing it off to the public! :)   Moving the side light to the rear of the door separates the lights better, but it also means the boss for mounting the upper fairlead is now in the wrong place.  I put "Gorilla Tape" there to protect the wood--will probably have to replace it from time-to-time.

Well there are some loose ends yet to tie, e.g., install the side lights when they come in and install the replacement actuator rods.  I have not yet begun building the storage box that mounts in front.  That is a pretty big project in itself, but in the meantime I can use the camper as is.  I even put the mattress in and took a nap on it--very comfortable.

4 comments:

  1. I'm about 1/2 way through my build. What do you mean about the interior liner? What would you have done differently during install so it is more show worthy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The liner is for sale at CLC--one of the "Additional Components." They recommend 1/2" roundovers. I found this rather difficult--requires a small trim-router and a very delicate touch with it. I would not have rounded over ends that butt up against the bulkhead and ceiling vent--and perhaps considered not rounding at all. Amazingly, the panels have to be trimmed quite a bit. I should have trimmed more aggressively--e.g., the center line is about 1 1/2" right of center. Some of the panels are not large enough and left gaps. When I got to the overhead vent on the first side, I didn't realize the liner should have gone all the way to the flange spacers so the trim panel would be sure to cover the edges. Had to fill in with scraps--looks ugly. One thing I did right was to buy the gel-type contact cement so it didn't drip all over everything (and me) while doing the upper panels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got it. Thanks for the tips. I'll hopefully be installing my liner at the end of May. Will probably do some test fitting first to check the edges. Your's is looking amazing!

      Delete
    2. Yes you should really take your time on this--and still it should only take a couple days. One more hint: Do all your trimming, etc. before you do any rounding over of the edges. Seems like a "no-brainer." So I guess that's what it says about me. :)

      Delete