Wednesday, March 8, 2017

General Update

It's been quite a while since I updated this blog.  Been busy with other things and also frustrated with constantly sanding through to bare wood--then having to apply new epoxy, wait for it to cure, and try sanding again.  Seems to happen even whether machine or hand sanding and using 220 or even 320 paper.  I did  not have this problem on the first two boats I built and only three or four small "incidents" on the third.  Is there something different about this project, or am I just losing my touch?  Any other builders having this problem?  Let me know.
This photo was shot Feb 18, 2017, showing my epoxy work on the inside of the galley.  As you can see there are some flaws in the plywood (came that way) so I've decided to paint the interior with light gray bilge paint--a very sturdy product.  The galley module sides will be off-white and the front will be bright-finished.  The front is of a different, beautiful plywood (sappele?) which is why I'll varnish instead of paint it.  That combination should brighten it up in there quite a bit.  I will probably also paint the cabin floor with the gray bilge paint.

 2/18/17: Here's a shot of the port-side eyebrow pretty much finished. 

 Also 2/18/17: I've now built a plastic sheeting "tent" over the entire project, because I have small repair patches of epoxy to cure at several widely-separated areas.  (Don't want to heat the entire garage.)

3/7/17:  CLC has sent me a small block of mahogany they are now including with all the kits.  The block will provide a standoff for the galley hatch's hasp catch.  In the original design, the hasp was bent to reach the catch, but this was causing breakage problems for some builders.  Though it is not called for, I plan to add a small fillet around the block, just to make sure it is strong enough  (impossible to tell whether there may be areas underneath the block that did not come into contact with the shell during gluing).

That brings things up to date.  Not much has been happening, but I have to "get with it," because I am hoping to take the camper to a sailing event at Lake Texoma April 29. 

3 comments:

  1. Ive used the same knickknack for shimming clamp blocks.. also had space heater under my home built Atkins Walter Piel fishing boat when glassing the bottom.
    CU in the Ches East Boat Camper and all. Janes Island maybe.
    dlj

    ReplyDelete
  2. Used a similar one on the PocketShip dropboards. Just a simple cube right now--will fashion the truncated pyramid version some day. Trip to Janes Island sounds enticing--a really long drive for my old, unpadded butt though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I noticed, to my chagrin, when I was getting ready to fillet the block, it is slightly tilted! Not a lot, but noticeable. It must have shifted when I clamped it and I didn't catch it. Be especially careful there--it is a difficult clamping job.

    ReplyDelete