Saturday, March 11, 2017

Starting Work on the Galley


I didn't care much for the way the gray bilge paint looked inside the galley, so decided to let it become a primer and paint over it with Interlux Brightside Hatteras White, a very fine and durable paint.  This is the second coat.  I'll add one or two more for sure. 

One thing I learned (actually re-learned) this time around is not to use a brush to tip off the bubbles left by a foam roller.  Instead, after painting three or four square feet, go back over that area several times with the roller, using extremely light pressure.  On the horizontal surface, just the weight of the roller itself is sufficient.  This works very well.  It helps that the weather is still cool so the paint doesn't dry too soon, making it easier to keep a wet edge going.  I hope I will be able to do all the roller and brush jobs before it starts to heat up.  I plan to spray the outside of the shell, but still, cooler weather will help for that also.

This is the kit for the galley "module."  I have temporarily put it partially together so I will have a better understanding how it's all going to work. The module will include shelves for food, and also a place for the battery and all the electrical components, such as charger and bus bars, etc.  I will be installing a stereo receiver and lights inside the cabin. 

No comments:

Post a Comment