Sunday, February 12, 2017

Finishing Rear Galley Hatch Edge

The hatch edge is rounded over to receive fiberglass tape reinforcement.  There are problems with the fiberglass tape which I will discuss in detail.
Here I have applied the tape and you can see two problems.  One is my fault--I did not make the fillet above the edge big enough and got some bubbles.  I stood there for over an hour pushing the bubbles out until I thought the epoxy had set enough to hold them down.  Looks like I was wrong because I came back later and some of the bubbles had reappeared.  I don't think this will be a structural problem.  Later I will use a glue syringe to fill the bubbles, mostly for appearance sake, but also to prevent a hole caused by dropping a knife or some other sharp object in the future. The second problem was discussed in the previous post.  There are two creases in this five-foot length of tape that would simply not lie down.
I cut darts in the tape to get rid of the creases.  A bit near the top will be sanded off and the edges feathered in.  I don't like using the tape because of the selvedged edges.  They make it difficult to set the tape in place and feather later.  Now that it is too late, I realize that the solution would have been to simply cut off the selvedges.  Why didn't I think of that earlier! 
The edge is finished and now curing.  Later I will inject the epoxy fills and sand the whole thing.  As you can see I have moved the heater to the galley location.  To the right of the heater, just past the fiberglass tape roll, you can see the remote sensor for a thermometer kept inside the house.
I used some 1x2s to support a "tent" for the area I want to heat, avoiding heating the entire garage.  I'm keeping the heated area at around 60 degrees.


No comments:

Post a Comment