Sunday, November 27, 2016

Epoxying the Inside

OOPS! I missed a couple steps starting way back on page 99.  The bottom of the galley flat and the insides of the quarter panels should have been epoxied then before the bottom was installed.  It's going to be a bit harder to do it now but not impossible.  The biggest challenge will be making sure I seal the areas I can't see, behind the reinforcing bars and the backside of the bulkhead.
Well that's better.  The inside of the footwell is all sealed up now and I'm very sure I got the areas I couldn't see.  If not, I can't really see how any water will get back there and even if it does it will flow off onto sealed areas right away. If wood does not stay wet it doesn't rot.
The bulkhead will not be covered up by headliner so I tried to be extra careful with its coating--even tipped it off with a foam brush, but it will still have to be sanded.  At least there shouldn't be any runs or sags. It's a pretty piece of wood and it is where all the electrical controls, stereo, and so on will be mounted.
This is inside the front of the shell, just forward of the ventilation bezel. All of this will be covered by headliner, so one coat to seal it is plenty, no more sanding here either!
It's getting colder so I have put a small electric heater inside, and you can see my digital thermometer sitting on the shelf bottom.  I like that it records the high and low temps for the previous 24 hours.  As you can see I've put plastic sheeting over the doorways to help hold in the heat.  I'll be checking the temp from time to time and adjusting the thermostat on the heater to try to keep it around 70 or so in there.
I used leftover epoxy to put the first coat on the insides of the doors.  They will be exposed to rain from time-to-time so I'll be adding at least one more coat.



No comments:

Post a Comment