Thursday, December 29, 2016

Sanding and Painting the Bottom


I have started sanding the bottom.  You can see two areas where I sanded through to bare wood and had to patch the fiberglass.  Every time this happens it sets me back a few days while the epoxy cures.  I am not going to spend a lot of time trying to get the bottom extra smooth because it will take a lot of abuse and I don't want to sand the fiberglass too thin.  Also it will be out of sight, so in this case structural strength trumps appearance.

Here I've finished sanding as smooth as I want it.  I also sanded the sides up to a little over an inch because they will be painted up one inch from the bottom.  The sides were sanded much smoother.

The sides are masked one inch up from the bottom.  It's hard to see but I used automotive masking tape that does a very good job of allowing paint to get under it, so for the most part I will get a nice line.  In parts the paint may leak under the tape and I will have to scrape those areas.  Pre-taped plastic masking has been taped on top of the automotive tape to catch any drips or runs (there'd better not be any runs!).

The first coat of paint has been applied.  There are some thin areas, especially where I started the job and the roller was not saturated enough.  This will be taken care of with the second coat.
And here is the second coat.  I'm about out of paint so this will have to do it.  I used a very dark blue called "flag blue" by the manufacturer, Interlux.  It's actually quite a bit darker than it looks in the photo.

When the paint dries I'll be able to flip the boat right-side up.  I'm pretty sure that since I jumped ahead and drilled for the trailer then painted the bottom I will not have to turn it upside down again.

3 comments:

  1. and that reminds me of GO FAST which is best .Moderate non smooth or rougher, humm ? Molecular hover man.
    dl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dana- your site is very helpful to me as I also build my camper, thank you. I would like to get my garage stall back for my car sooner, than the instructions seem to allow. Would you see a problem mounting the camper to the trailer after this step of finishing the bottom?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you go to my Jan 16, 2017 post you will see that I mounted the camper to the trailer fairly soon. BUT, I immediately moved it back into the garage because I had not yet varnished over the epoxy. You must have at least four coats of varnish or three coats of paint over the epoxy before the camper can sit out in the sun for any length of time. Also, you would want to have the doors and vent cover installed to keep out the rain.

      Delete